Thursday, May 31, 2012

5-28-2012 – Lime and Garlic Chicken


There is nothing quite like the disappointment of getting sick at the beginning of a three day weekend.  As you can guess I felt that this disappointment starting with a sore throat on Friday morning and full on congestion by the afternoon.  There are few things I hate more than being congested.  I have very sensitive sinuses and sleep apnea; the breathing machine I use just covers my nose, so I think you can begin to understand how rough of a weekend this was for me.  But I was able to pull it all together and whip up a new meal for Laura and I Monday night.  Now enough with the pity party let’s get cooking

I wanted to make something rather simple and easy.  I also wanted to keep the cost down and after a quick look thought my freezer that mean the chicken thigh was going to be the protein of the day.  Food Network website search yield a nice lemon chicken recipe that was ripe of tinkering and didn’t require buy anything other than limes and cooking wine.   

Keeping with the simple and easy motif I paired it with jasmine rice and my tarragon carrots.

Lime and Garlic Chicken:

What you need:
  • A baking dish
  • Oil brush
  • Small food processor or garlic press
  • 6 skinless chicken thighs
  • 1/4 cup of olive oil
  • 1/3 dry white wine
  • 1 tablespoon of lime zest
  • 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons of oregano
  • 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon of thyme
  • a pepper grinder
  • a salt grinder
  • a lime
  • 9 cloves of garlic

  1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
  2. Mince the garlic (use the food processor or garlic press)
  3. In a dish combine the wine, zest, lime juice, oregano, thyme and kosher salt into a dish
  4. Heat the oil over medium heat and sauté the garlic for a minute or so
  5. Add the ingredients for the dish to the garlic and oil, stir till combined and then take off heat
  6. Pour the ingredients from the pan into the dish
  7. Pat dry the chicken
  8. Add the chicken to the pan and brush with oil
  9. Season the chicken with salt and pepper from the grinders
  10. Slice up the lime to eighths and place them in dish
  11. Bake for 40 minute
  12. Let rest for 10 minute covered in tin foil before serving.

This turned out all right, however in my hast I neglected to pan sear the garlic before adding in the other ingredients.  Also I put in a little more lime zest and juice than I should have.  These mistakes have been correct in the write up above.  To make matters worse on that front, Laura decide to drench her plate in sauce for from baking pan, before she tried it, rendering her food ruined to her palate.  Luckily I love lime and was able to eat her food and she was able to get her fill on the extra carrots and rice I made.

Despite the hiccups in the making of the meal it was rather tasty and I would love to get another crack at it.  I think that with a few tweaks this could be a real crowd pleaser.

Before I go, I have two upcoming events to plug.  If you are in the Philadelphia area, this weekend is the annual Wizard World comic book convention.  Laura and I will be there all weekend long in artist ally at table 2335.  Come on by and say hi.  As an add treat we will both be in costume.  I have a really awesome Doctor Strange outfit my friend made me and I can’t wait to show it off.

Speaking of showing it off, The following week (Thursday 6/7/2012) There will be a Cosplay Fashion show at Philly RAW Artist organized by one Laura Guzzo.  There I will be once more donning the cape and getting my Doctor Strange on.  The RAW events are always a great time and feature artist doing everything from painting and photography to clothing design and body painting.  There are even a couple of bands playing. 

I hope to see you at one of these events.  Till next time, get the hell out of my kitchen.







No comments:

Post a Comment