Monday, May 14, 2012

Happy Belated Mother’s Day!




Due to this past weekend being Mother’s day as well as the fact that Laura and I had tickets for a plan on Saturday night, there really wasn’t time to make a new recipe.  But fear not, for I will still provide for you gentle reader.  This week we take a look at the recipe that started it all, Old Man Mitchell’s Ginger Plum Chicken.

http://peopleslight.org/production/wrinkle-timeI this information may come a little too late to be useful, but Laura and I saw the People’s Light and Theater’s production of A Wrinkle In Time on Saturday and it was amazing!  I read the book multiple times as child.  Because of my learning disabilities I went to 4 different schools between 1st and 7th grade and being able to read a having stories where the main characters are special because they think differently, really meant a lot to me.

The play is a wonderful adaptation of the source material.  The staging is remarkable and really quite brilliant.  The use light and sound gave the minimalist stage a real sense of place.  The acting was also top notch, especially that of Emilie Krause who played Meg and Conrad David Sager who played Charles Wallace.  The show runs till 4/20 and if you are in the area I highly recommend checking it out.  However please note, they do employ a fair amount of flashing light, so if that sort of thing bothers you, it’s best to just read the book and enjoy the story that way.

Now, on to this week’s meal.  I found a Ginger Plum chicken recipe in book of Chinese food recipes that was given to me along with a wok one Christmas by my best friend’s mother.  I have altered it over the years to such a degree that really they only share a name in common.   This recipe recently won a recipe contest at work.

Old Man Mitchell’s Ginger Plum Chicken

What you need:
·         4 skinless boneless Chicken Thigh
·         One package of Japanese Udon Noodles (I recommend Nasoya brand)
·         2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
·         2 tablespoons of finely chopped Ginger
·         3 Tablespoons of Bragg’s Liquid Amino (soy sauce substitute)
·         4 Tablespoons of Plum Sauce (I recommend Kikkoman brand)
·         1 pepper cut into small to medium pieces (green or red as to taste)
·         1 cup of Quartered Baby Carrots (more or less to taste)
·         A hand full of sugar snap peas or snow peas
·         A good sized Wok (Ikea has them cheap)


1.       Add Oil and Ginger to a Wok and let it sit
2.       In a pot boil water and cook the Japanese Noodles as per the packages instruction, add a pinch of salt for taste.  This should take about 8-9mins
3.       While the Noodle cook, chop the vegetables and set aside.  Then slice the chicken into 1 inch pieces
4.       When the noodle are done, place a lid on the pot to retain the heat
5.       Put the Wok on high heat and stir fry the Ginger until it starts to change color (30 sec to a min should do)
6.       Add Chicken and Bragg’s Liquid Amino to the Wok, stir fry till the chicken is almost cooked
7.       Add the Carrots, Peppers and Plum sauce to the Wok. Stir fry for a 1 to 2 min
8.       Drain the noodles and add to Wok, stir fry until the noodles are infused with the sauce
9.       Add the Peas, stir fry until the peas are warm and covered in sauce
10.   Take off heat and let cool for 5 min then serve

This dish has been a long time favorite and I have found that it just as good the next day cold as it is fresh off the stove.  You should also feel free to put any other vegetables you like in it.  If you do try this meal or any of my other recipes, drop me a line and let me know how they turned out.

Next weekend Laura will be at XCON is South Carolina promoting Shakespeare Shaken, a new book that she has contributed art to, so I’ll be on my own.  Drop me a line if there is a protein you want me to feature or if I should go hog wild and have Breakfast for dinner!

Till next time, Get the hell out of my Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment