Monday, December 8, 2014

Pan Seared Thai Chicken over Jasmine Rice with Raw Carrots

First off, I heard back from the printer and according to UPS the comics will be here on Thursday!!!  I'm super excited.  In honor of that I'll start posting up the serialized digital version of the comic her on the blog Wednesday, because it's new comic book day after all.  Who know maybe UPS will get it to me early!

In the meantime, this blog is about making things and that includes cooking.  That's how I started this after all.  The other night I was going through the latest issue of Cooking Light and found a recipe for Thai Street Chicken.  It tasty for the most part, but had a few things in it I'm not the biggest fan of and a few things that upset Rose's stomach.  Plus, when have you know me to see a recipe and not start playing around with it.

Using the Thai Street Chicken as a starting point I created my Pan Seared Thai Chicken.

What you need:
  • Skillet (I used Cast iron)
  • Freezer bag (or zipping storage bag, I like to use Freezer bags because they tend not to lead as easy)
  • 6 pieces of Skinless, boneless Chicken Thigh
  • A rolling pin

Marinade stuff:
  • 3 cilantro roots
  • 1 and a half tablespoons of Brown Sugar
  • 2 teaspoons of White Pepper
  • 1 tablespoon of ginger (I use the tubed ginger, click here for more about that)
  • 3 tablespoons Brags soy Amino
  • 1 lime worth of zest
  • Half a lime worth of juice (optional)


The Steps: 
  1. Place the cilantro roots in to the bag.  Use the rolling pin to bruise the cilantro roots.  I had trouble finding cilantro root, I end up buying one of those herb plant packages of cilantro, the kind that you're meant to put in a dish of water and set out in the sun.  My kitchen doesn't get any sun, so I just up rooted the thing and washed off the dirt. Then I chopped off the roots.
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients to make the marinade.  Zip the bag and shake it to mix up the marinade
  3. Place the chicken in the bag and once more zip and shake.  Also rub the marinade around to make sure it really gets all over the chicken.
  4. Let the chicken sit in the marinade for at least a half hour.  I let it sit overnight.
  5. Heat the skillet of high heat. (depending on your stove top)
  6. Sear the chicken for 2 to 3 min on both sides, making sure it cooks all the way through.



It was nice to have this already to go when we go to my house.  I threw on the rice and when that was done cooking I cooked the chicken.  The rice added a nice balance to the spice of the chicken, as did the crunchy carrots.  It was the first time I made something in a while, but with publishing the comic and the upcoming Christmas shopping, funds are a little tighter, I think there will be a lot less eating out for Rose and I.

We paired the dish with a little RuPaul's Drag Race season 6.  If you have not seen Drag Race, do yourself a favor and check it out.  The first 6 seasons are streaming on Amazon Prime.  It really is quite an engaging show with none of the meanness you too often see in these types of competition shows.  It really comes across how much Ru wants each of these girls to succeed and wants this to be a positive experience for everyone.

If you make my Pan Seared Thai Chicken please let me know how it turns out.

Till next time, keep making things.

T.



No comments:

Post a Comment