Monday, March 25, 2013

Love Them Gloves



When it comes to birthday gifts, ones that arrive nearly 3 months late need to be pretty special to make someone's day.  Well it turns out the fingerless gloves that I knitted for my sister's early Dec birthday mush be pretty special because they made her day when she finally received them last week.

I originally picked up this free pattern from Michaels when I was first learning to knit a year ago to make as a gift for someone else.  Very quickly into the project my kitting teacher realized that this was way too much for someone who could hardly knit two stitches in a row without fouling up.  The pattern was set aside and I started on my Franken-scarf.  After making a many scarfs I was finally ready to come back to the fingerless gloves.



I was able to force my way thought, with much help, and knit one glove for that person. The glove was OK, but the finger holes were much smaller than any adult's hands because I bind off way tighter then I should or want.  I was planning on giving them another try but then I got hurt and everything got put on hold.  As you read last week, soon after that my life when to hell.  In a fit of depression I started on the gloves for my sister.  I had already picked out a very fun multicolor yarn for the project.  My sister has a very eclectic fashion sense and crazy rainbow gloves would fit in perfectly.

Over the course of about 17 hours straight, I knitted these gloves.  With the first glove I had to stop and start completely over from scratch three separate times, once when I was 2/3 of the way done, because I had made some mistake that was beyond my ability to fix.  But after all the trial and error I was able to bang the second glove out in about 3 hours and without making any mistakes.  Then, because I had been awake for nearly 23 hours straight after getting only 5 hours of sleep the night before, I crash hard.

It took me another three weeks to get myself to a post office and send them out, but I think it was well worth the wait.  My sister called me twice to thank me for the gloves and tell me how much she likes them.  I really like the gloves myself, so my much so I knitted a pair of black one just for me.  I was able to get these ones done in a little under 7 hours.

Click Here for the pattern I used.  For the pair I made I revers the thumb gusset directions on the one for my left hand so the seam is always in the middle.  Wish I had thought of that when making my sister her gloves.  I also turned them inside out when sewing the seam to give it a better looking line. 

This was a really fun project to do and I look forward to make more of these.  In fact let's have a little give-away contest.  In the comment section tell me what color you would want to see these gloves in.  I'll randomly pick a winner and knit the person a pair in the color they picked.  You have till April 15th to enter.  I'll try to get the winner their prize before that fall, but be warn I get distracted easily and it might take me a while to get them to you.

Till next time, get the hell out of my kitchen, I have kitting to do.


2 comments:

  1. Peacock Blue! with gold/emerald and hey 4/15 is my birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these are awesome Tom! Dark grey goes with everything :)

    ReplyDelete