Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Soy Ginger & Honey Glazed Chicken - 6/15/2012


I’m still not a 100% but I well enough to get back in the kitchen and start cooking.  I did double duty cooking this week because my Dad wanted me to make my award winning Ginger Plum Chicken for Father’s Day.  You can find that recipe HERE..

Since Sunday was Booked up with Ginger Plum and we had Laura’s Niece’s Birthday Party Saturday, Friday was the only day left for a new recipe.  This week I grab a recipe from the Food Networks website and spiced it up a bit, turning Soy Honey Chicken into Soy Ginger & Honey Glazed Chicken.  It turned out really nice, but I think it still needs a little something extra.  I paired this with some Ginger Jasmine Rice and my Tarragon Carrots.  I used fresh Tarragon and Lemon Thyme from out garden.  The Lemon time was delicious but the tarragon was very disappointing.  It was rather aromaless when I chopped the leafs and had no taste when I tried a leaf.  I ended up replacing it with the store bought stuff.

Soy Ginger & Honey Glazed Chicken

What you will need:
  • 6-8 Boneless Chicken Thighs
  • Ginger (I used the tube variety, I talked about that HERE)
  • 1 table spoon of  fine chopped Lemon Thyme (regular thyme would work too)
  • 4 tablespoons Braggs Soy Aminos
  • 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 1/2cup Honey
  • 1 lemon
  • Broiling Pan
  • mid to small saucepan
  1. In a sealable storage bag place the chicken
  2. Add 2 tablespoons of Braggs Soy Aminos, 2 tablespoons of Ginger and 1 tablespoon of Oil to the bag
  3. Seal the bag work the mixture so that each piece of chicken is cover in the mixture
  4. Let the chicken marinate overnight in the fridge
  5. In the saucepan add 2 tablespoons of Braggs Soy Aminos, 1 tablespoon of oil, the thyme and honey
  6. Zest the lemon into the pan
  7. Squeeze the juice from the lemon into the pan
  8. Put the pan on to hot heat until the mixture boils, stir often
  9. Once the mixture starts to boil, take it off the heat and put it aside
  10. Preheat the oven to 450
  11. Brush the top of the broiling pan with oil
  12. Place the chicken on the broiling pan and coat the chicken with sauce from the sauce pan
  13. Put the chicken in the oven
  14. The chicken will cook for 25 minutes, but every 5 minutes re-coat the chicken with the glaze

Ginger Jasmine Rice

What you will need:
  • Pot with lid
  • 1 inch of fresh ginger
  • 1 tablespoon of tube ginger
  • 1 cup of jasmine rice
  1. peel and chop the ginger into small pieces
  2. Add 2 cups of water to the pot
  3. Add both the chopped and ginger from the tube to the water
  4. Bring the water to a boil
  5. Add the rice and let cook for 15minutes

As I said earlier, this meal was tasty but needs a little something and I can’t put my figure on what that something is.  If you try it out and have any suggestions please let me know in the comment section.  One improvement I made in the write up of the recipe is that I increased the frequency of the re-glazing.

Before I go I want to make a game recommendations.  As an early birthday (June 22 hint, hint) gift Laura gave me The Settlers of Catan.  After Dinner on Sunday we gave it an initial play though with my Mom and Dad.  I’m happy to report that a grand time was had by all and everyone is looking forward to play it again.  If you want to see the game in action, checkout this episode of Table Top.  It features Neil Grayston form Eureka and my literary crush, TV writer extraordinaire Jane Espenson and is worth watching for their banter alone.  I will warn you Table Top is an addiction show and you might end up watching them all in one sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment