Friday, April 3, 2015

Flash Fiction Friday

Hey Gang, It’s Flash Fiction Friday.  This is a new feature to the blog where every Friday I’m going to post a little piece of flash fiction.  Flash Fiction (my definition, as there is no accepted length) is a story that is under 1000 words.  This particular story is based off a prompt I gave to the writing group I moderate twice a month at my local book store, The Towne Book Center & Café 

Enjoy!

Cyber Monday


"I have no idea how I got there.  I mean you know how it is on the internet.  You click on one link, then another, then another and next thing you know, you've been online for three hours watching Hungarian Bootleg Spider-man episodes."

"That's not much of an explanation of how… all this… happened." Susan said

"I'm getting there, I'm getting there.  So, I'm clicking around and I see an ad for Baba Yaga's House of Discount Magic."

"You do love Magic."

"Exactly, I had to click on the site.  It turned out they were having a huge Cyber Monday Blowout.  I browsed around a bit and discovered that they have a digital Jinn service."

"Jinn?"

"Oh yeah, you would call it a Genie.  They're really called Jinn, but the English anglicized it." John explained. "Anyway, it was only $7.95 for a rub of the bottle.  You slide your mouse pointer back and forth over the bottle on the screen.  A little animated gif pops up with a textbox." 

John stopped and shrugged a little, giving Susan a half smile.

"You made a wish."

"Yeah."  John dropped his head a little.

"hmmm…" Susan paced around the room tapping her chin. "What exactly did you wish for?"

"Umm… Well, you know how I've always wanted to be stronger." John scratched at one of his long, hairy arms.

"And that's why the Jinn turned you into a gorilla?"

John shook his large gorilla head. "I tried to change back, but couldn't type with my new hands.  All I could do was mash the keys."

No comments:

Post a Comment