Wednesday, January 14, 2015

I Hate When They Run Part 5: The Conclusion

The day has finally arrived!  Today you will see the exciting conclusion to I Hate When They Run.  But wait you say, you’ve skipped the texted and scroll down to just read the comic; only to find no comic.  What kind of jerk move are you pulling here T.  Well angry Jim Gaffagain style internal reader's voice.  Not only will today mark the conclusion of our current story, but the premier of the Tal Nor website, www.Tal-Nor.com! Now, please make sure that you use the dash in the website name and a don’t put it in a one word.  That will take you to a site full of NSFW content.  I'm going to look into buying the url from them, but in the meantime, unless you want to "chat" with topless lady, use that dash.  Hey where you going, there still more blog.

I'm super excited for Tal-Nor.com and the future of the comic.  Kelsea our amazing artist has been working her finger to the bone designing awesome costumes and terrifying creatures.  I'm really excited to see what she will come up with next.  I have to say again how lucky we are to have found someone so talented who is also an amazing collaborator.  She definitely makes my stuff better.

Speaking of making my stuff better, our fabulous editor Rose has been hitting out of the park.  Over the weekend we sat down and she ripped all of the fat and errors off of the script.  The story and the script are so much stronger and clearer now thanks to her.  Editors are really the unsung heroes of the comic world, but you ask any writer and they will sign the praise of their editor all day and night.

So what is going to happen to Old Man Mitchell's Kitchen?  Don't worry the kitchen isn't closing down.  I am however going to retool and focus it a little bit.  There will be less talk about the Tal Nor and more focus on making things.  I'm also going to give more a glimpse into my processes and any cool tricks I have found along the way.  Also in 2015 I want to get back into cooking more.  My hope is that those projects will turn out well and I'll have a ton to share with you.

I'll also still be discussing my struggle with Anxiety, Depression, Dyslexia and Attention Deficit Disorder.  I know firsthand dealing with these sorts of things can be lonely and isolating.  It's in this isolation that these conditions draw their power.  It's my hope that by sharing what I'm going through I can help take a little wind out of the sails of the darker parts of your mind.  It won't make thing all better or even OK, but it might just take a little bit of the edge off and every little bit helps.

What has helped me a good bit take the edge off these feelings is going to the gym.  I have gone to my local Planet Fitness every single day since Dec 9th with the exception of Christmas day when they weren’t open and this past Saturday.  On Saturday I slept in a little bit and was dragging a bit.  I need to pick Rose up at 1pm and I realized that getting to and from the gym with Saturday traffic was going to eat up a half hour.  I also knew I still need to get in my workout.  My solution was to put an episode of Constantine (which got better as it went on, but still not the best show) and walk up and down the first few steps in my living room.  This is fine for the occasional Saturday because I just do cardio on Saturday.  I could not do this all the time because it just puts way too much stress on my knees.

A few years back my Doctor diagnoses me with join narrowing in both my knees.  I have found that the Recumbent Bike at the gym is the best cardio for me as it puts the lease stress on my knees.  My hope is between doing that and lifting some with my legs I can build up the muscles enough to help my joints feel better.

I'll be talking more about the gym in a future post, but I think I have rambled on enough for one post.  Go over to Tal-Nor.com and check out the book and more info about that project.

Till next time, keep making things


T.

3 comments:

  1. Compression pants might help your knees. The good ones are expensive though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look into that if it starts getting worse. I'm thinking that there might be some PT in my future as well.

      Delete
  2. Let me know if you do decide on compression pants. I've been researching and testing a few different kinds of brands this week. Hope the knees feel better!

    ReplyDelete