Sunday, September 1, 2013

Summer Mix 2013


It's that time again and I've just made it under the wire.  Here is old man Mitchell's Summer Mix for 2013.   I know summer is almost over but I've been busy writing that it has taken me a little bit to pare down the mix from 134 minutes to under 120 minutes.

For those of you who are new reader let me explain what's we have here.  I don't know exactly where I stole the idea from but back in the late summer of 2001 I decided that I should make periodically make a mix of the music was really into at the time.  I had just been laid off from my co-op with Merck about three weeks before the job was meant to start (along with about 70 other co-ops, the whole Vioxx thing just happened and they were looking to cut any money they could.)  So I had a lot of time on my hand till my new co-op with Comcast was scheduled to start in November.  I spent a lot of time crafting the perfect mix.  After September it became a really great way to escape a increasing trouble world.  The mix was a great success and all my roommates wanted copies.

Once I started working again I realized while I love making mixes, I don't have time to make one every month like that, but I could work on it a little at a time over the course of three months.  Plus it would be nice to have a record of what I was into at different periods of times.  Thus the seasonal mixes were born.

I have faithful made one for nearly every season since the winter of 2002.  The process for the mix is simple for about a month I start putting songs I like and really speak to me at the time into a play list.  They also are songs that have never been on a mix before (a rule I have never knowingly broken).  Then once I have about 30 to 35 songs I start pairing them down and seeing where they fit to make smooth transitions and an enjoyable listening experience.  Another rule I use to help weed down the list is that I can only have one song from a particular artist.  I keep going removing songs and adding any new ones that are release while I'm making the mix, till I get to a list that runs around 120 minutes, the length of a CD.

Without further ado here is the 2013 summer mix.


Artist
Song
1. Cream
Tales Of Brave Ulysses
2. Tori Amos
Little Amsterdam
3. Sara Watkins
You and Me
4. Mitch & Mickey
When You're Next To Me
5. The Doubleclicks
Clever Girl
6. The National
Demons
7. Keane
With Or Without You (U2 cover)
8. R.E.M.
You're In The Air
9. Death Cab for Cutie
You Can Do Better Than Me
10. Toad The Wet Sprocket
Walk on The Ocean
11. Amanda Palmer & The Grand Theft Orchestra
Trout Heart Replica
12. Tom Waits
Bottom of the World
13. Claudia Brucken
Torched Song (feat. The Real Tuesday Weld)
14. Dar Williams
As Cool As I Am (Live)
15. Club Bootie
Get it on my mind
16. Bree Sharp
Everything Feels Wrong
17. The Raconteurs
Carolina Drama
18. Johnny Cash
Folsom Prison Blues
19. 8in8
The Problem With Saints
20. Diana Krall
Fly Me to the Moon

I hope you enjoy the mix.  If you need any help recreating it, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction as to where you might be able to fine a copy just laying around.  I of course do not support music piracy in any way shape of form ;-)

Till next , get out of my kitchen.


















No comments:

Post a Comment