Monday, October 20, 2014

EXTRA LIFE 2014



I've done many really cool and even dare I say it impressive things in my life.  I have published several comic books, I once played on stage with the Pat McGee Band and I've seen shit that will turn you white (Ghostbusters reference, if you haven't seen Ghostbusters, stop reading and go watch it. You can thank me later).  Of all the things I've done in the past 35 years, the one thing I'm most proud of is my association with the Extra Life charity Gaming Marathon.  Over the last 4 years I have raised over $2000 to benefit the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and before that I raise a few hundred dollars for the Children's hospital of Texas, back when it was the only hospital involved with the charity.

The way this event works could not be simpler.  It's a charity marathon and like any other charity marathon you get people to sponsor you to raise money for a good cause.  Unlike most marathon, they is no running involved.  In fact I'll end up spending most of my time sitting on my couch.  In this marathon I'll be playing games non-stop for 24 hours.  It starts on October 25th at 8:00am.  At which time I'll start playing Kingdom of Loathing, like I have every year.  From that point on I'll be playing one game or another until 8:00am October 26th.  And it can be any game, video, card or board.  Heck I could even go out a play some horse shoes if I wanted.

I'm taking part in the Extra Life charity gaming marathon to benefit Children Hospital of Philadelphia.  It's amazing how fast the time has flown by, but this event takes place next Saturday into Sunday (October 25th into October 26th).  Besides reminding you that you have a little more than a week to donate (donations can be made online here: http://www.extra-life.org/participant/TMitchell ) I also wanted to share with you a fun fact the head of the Philadelphia extra life effort had emailed me.

"As of today, there are 640 Extra Lifers signed up to play for The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia!  If every one of you collected a minimum of $200 in donations, you would raise a combined total of $128,000!"

I'm filled with so much joy when I think of how much good that money could do.  I think of how many parents will be able to set aside worrying how to pay for their child's treatment and focus on helping their child through an illness.  When you think about all of the horrible things in the world, it's nice to know that there are place like the children's hospitals that benefit from this fundraising, that will never turn a child away, no matter if their parents can afford to cost.

Sadly not everyone involved will be able to raise that much money.  For some raising $50 will be difficult.  This is one of the reasons I set my goal so high, I want to offset those that can only do a little.

If you have not yet donated, please visit my page, http://www.extra-life.org/participant/TMitchell  and consider donating.  If you already have donated, thank you so much and please send my link out to anyone who you think would be interested in helping The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.

Thank you

Till next time, go make things!

T.

No comments:

Post a Comment